A practical guide to renting in Leeds, waiting for you to receive it!

“About the contract – all the details are not spared. Most contracts indicate that if the contract is terminated, the tenant needs to notify the landlord at least 1 month in advance, and some may take 2 months, or 15 days, which will be clearly stated in the contract Marked in the middle, before signing the contract, check carefully before signing. If some houses are in poor condition, it is recommended to take photos before moving in. Scratches on the wall, stains on the carpet, and damage to the furniture should be taken and recorded. The two parties should communicate well, otherwise it may cause disputes when checking out.

About the deposit – the British government has protection for renting private houses in the UK. When signing the contract, you need to pay 4-6 weeks of rent in advance as a deposit. The landlord must place the deposit in Tenancy Deposit Protection within 30 days of receiving the deposit. These deposit protection items are guaranteed by the British government to protect the rights of the tenant.

A practical guide to renting in Leeds, waiting for you to receive it!

Currently certified institutions are: The Deposit Protection Service My Deposits, Tenancy Deposit Scheme and Capita Tenancy Deposit Protection. If the lease term has expired, the landlord or real estate agent must return the deposit in full, provided that the landlord’s property has not been damaged and the rent and bills have been paid on time, and it must be completed within 10 days after the end of the contract.

Regarding Leeds student accommodation energy saving – it will affect the bill. Many Chinese landlords or second-landlords will pay monthly bills (Bill) for the tenants when renting a house. There are also some co-renters who share the monthly water and electricity consumption equally. British housing agencies are more inclined to the latter. When calculating your monthly rent for your home, don’t forget to take your monthly bills into consideration.

Students do not need to pay Council Tax, they have to pay daily: Gas, Electricity, Broadband, Water, have a TV at home and watch live TV, and pay £145.5 per year The viewing fee (TV License). When looking for a house, remember to check the energy saving score (EPC). The higher the score, the lower the monthly bill; the orientation of the house also determines whether the lighting is sufficient in winter, which affects the indoor temperature; if the house windows are equipped with double glazing (Double Glazing) , the effect of keeping warm is better.

About fire prevention and anti-theft – lock the door and open the window. Some students have a rich life and often go out late at night, so the places where students live together are easy to be targeted by thieves. Try to choose an area with good public security. The crime rate statistics can be found in maps Check on .met.police.uk. Don’t forget to close the windows in the living room or kitchen after falling asleep.

If you are worried about property theft, you can also purchase Leeds student accommodation property insurance, which can insure your laptop, mobile phone, iPad, etc. Chinese students like to cook with open flames. There are smoke and fire alarms in the kitchens of many British houses. If the smoke is too thick or the water vapor is too large, it may trigger an alarm. You should open the windows as soon as possible to ventilate, and then press the alarm. In some student dormitories and apartments, once the alarm sounds, everyone must go downstairs and gather in the yard, and wait for the dormitory management staff to check the hidden dangers before going back, so be careful!”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *