If your kids don’t like eating vegetables, the most important thing is to know which dishes are the best to hide the vegetable monsters. Hint: don’t try to feed them your salad. The best way to strain vegetables is to puree them. In this way, the texture of the original dish is not affected and the flavor of the vegetables is less noticeable.
The best dishes to strain vegetables are those that are:
to. Friendly child. Don’t pick something from the French cooking cookbook and hope your kids will love it. May, but there are no guarantees.
B. Suitable for puree. Some dishes do not work if you add a vegetable puree to them. Breath, anyone? Keep that in mind before cooking.
This leaves us with the following list:
1. Creamy pureed soups. Potatoes, squash, sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, and even celery and kale can all be pureed and mixed successfully with a little olive oil and spices. Sometimes you need to use a little soft tofu or cream and sometimes the croutons on top work well as a bribe.
2. Smoothies. Nobody really knows what they contain. Put in a banana or two, add a pitted date and it’s golden brown. Feel free to add kale leaves, while no one’s watching.
3. Cereal-based dishes, such as risotto. It will look like a puree anyway, so why not add some pumpkin, cauliflower, or carrot puree?
4. Pasta sauces. As long as your sauce has fresh or dried tomatoes and a little olive oil, everything else is up to you. How about some broccoli, celery, and zucchini too?
5. Baked goods: muffins and breads. Just about any muffin or bread recipe can include some fresh, pureed, or grated vegetables. Carrots, green beans, peas, squash, it all works great!
6. Baked chocolate products. If it’s dark, no one will see what’s inside! I always put some diced kale leaves in my brownies.
7. Mashed potatoes. Add any other veggie puree and if you must lie, say you used food coloring. Mashed potatoes are so delicious that no one will notice anything you made.
8. Dips. Homemade Hummus, Cheese Dip – Any sauce can survive if you add a little vegetable puree to it. Sometimes a little mashed celery or parsley can even enhance the flavor of the sauce.
9 creamy cakes. Add some mashed cauliflower, for good luck. It wouldn’t even change the color of the original recipe, so why not?
10. Pans. Anyway, nobody really knows what they contain. Therefore, no one will notice a little vegetable puree.